4th International PhD seminar in Irish Studies Leuven, 29 August – 2 September 2016
Following the very successful editions of 2010, 2012 and 2014, the Leuven Centre for Irish Studies of the University of Leuven will organise its fourth PhD seminar in Irish Studies in 2016, in collaboration with EFACIS and with the Leuven Institute for Ireland in Europe.
The aim is to give PhD students in Irish Studies from different European countries the opportunity
- to present their research in a congenial, interdisciplinary environment,
- to receive feedback and advice from established scholars and students with various backgrounds,
- to hone their methodological skills,
- to deepen their knowledge of the different aspects of Irish literature and culture, history and society.
The programme will consist of
- lectures by invited keynote speakers, all renowned scholars in different fields of Irish studies
- workshops on different critical theories and methodologies convened by academic experts
- student presentations, where participants present their own research for an audience of scholars and peers
Confirmed plenary speakers are
- Prof . Clair Wills (Princeton University)
- Lance Pettit (St. Mary’s University Twickenham)
- Derek Hand (St. Patrick’s College)
- Emilie Pine (University College Dublin)
Students can apply by submitting a CV and a short description of their research project (up to 1,000 words) before the 31st of January 2016. The number of participants is limited to 25.
The registration fee for this seminar will be 250€. This covers (1) tuition, (2) 5 nights of accommodation and breakfast in the beautifully refurbished Irish college, (3) registration as KU Leuven visiting scholars with access to library facilities (digital and otherwise) and (4) insurance for the duration of the stay. Participants or their institutions must be members of EFACIS (http://www.efacis.org/)
For applications and further information, please contact Elke D’hoker at email@example.com .